Many people wonder what to expect when calling a crisis hotline. Very often, making the decision to pick up the phone can seem daunting or overwhelming. But, for those in crisis or those who are feeling suicidal, reaching out can make all the difference.
To help make the process a little easier, check out this list of five things YOU can expect when contacting Long Island Crisis Center:
- An experienced counselor. When an individual makes the brave decision to call a crisis hotline, they want to be sure that they are speaking to someone with experience and know-how. All of Long Island Crisis Center’s counselors undergo a rigorous 9-month training program. Counselors-in-training are also paired with an experienced mentor for several months to help them develop their counseling skills.
- An open ear, and a caring voice. A Long Island Crisis Center counselors’ greatest skill is to listen to our callers, validate their feelings, and help individuals explore all their options and solutions. Our counselors are nonjudgmental, respectful, and genuinely care about your wellbeing. While we don’t give advice, we are always here to listen and help discuss your next step.
- Confidentiality. Long Island Crisis Center’s services are free & confidential.
- Helpful referrals. Long Island Crisis Center maintains a large database of quality, vetted referrals. When necessary, we can help you connect with other resources in the community such as mental health counseling, support groups, social services, and many others.
- Many ways to connect. Long Island Crisis Center understands that not everyone is comfortable talking to a counselor over the phone. This is why are proud to offer our ChatLIVE Long Island online service. Now, Long Islanders can message with a counselor from any computer, tablet, or smartphone. Simply click here to begin chatting with a counselor now.
Crisis Hotline on Long Island
LICC helps support Long Islanders at critical times in their lives – any problem, any time anyone! To learn more about our 24/7 hotlines or our mobile and online counseling service, click here now.Get Help Now Learn About Volunteering About LICC