Holiday time – we’re supposed to feel happy! So, when we get a case of the holiday blues, we think, “there must be something wrong with me.”
“It’s true that a lot of us walk around with a case of the ‘holiday blues’,” says Theresa Buhse, Associate Executive Director at Long Island Crisis Center. “There are lots of environmental, social and emotional influences going on at this time of the year. It gets dark earlier, it’s cold, there are expectations from family and friends, budgets get stretched and the list goes on. But, the bottom line is to remember that this is temporary and the feelings will pass.”
In the meantime, here are a few suggestions from the Crisis Center to get you out of those holiday blues:
- Lower expectations of a “perfect” holiday celebration with friends and family – it’s exhausting; go for fun and friendly instead;
- Take some time for yourself (even a 15-minute break!)…get outside, exercise, listen to music, read a book;
- Feeling lonely and isolated? Volunteer at the local food bank – you’ll soon see that you’re needed and valued;
- Don’t get yourself into debt buying presents! You won’t be able to enjoy the gift of giving;
- The holiday season is not an excuse to do away with healthy eating and exercise for ten days. Indulge (small tastings of everything) on the special days and your body will feel better;
- Keep your sense of humor intact to deal with difficult situations (an annoying relative or a burnt turkey!);
- Concentrate on what you do have in your life…not on what is missing.
Of course, Long Island Crisis Center’s hotline is available 24/7 throughout the holiday season for anyone who is having difficulty coping with the “blues.” Call 516-679-111 for free, confidential and anonymous crisis counseling; or click here to chat online with a counselor between the hours of 11am and 11pm.
Crisis & Suicide Hotline:
If you or someone you know is in crisis or feeling suicidal, call our 24/7 hotline at (516) 679-1111
If you or someone else is in any immediate danger, call 911
[otw_shortcode_button href=”https://www.facebook.com/sharer/sharer.php?u=http%3A//longislandcrisiscenter.org/got-the-holiday-blues-its-normal/” size=”large” icon_type=”social foundicon-facebook” icon_position=”left” shape=”radius” color_class=”otw-aqua” target=”_blank”]Share this Blog Post on Facebook[/otw_shortcode_button]
[otw_shortcode_button href=”https://twitter.com/home?status=Check%20out%20this%20new%20blog%20post%20from%20%40licrisiscenter%20…%20longislandcrisiscenter.org/got-the-holiday-blues-its-normal” size=”large” icon_type=”social foundicon-twitter” icon_position=”left” shape=”radius” target=”_blank”]Share This Blog Post on Twitter[/otw_shortcode_button]